Skip to main content
Celebrating Heritage, Promoting Our Future

modern

Postcard message 31 July 1914

This postcard is amazingly franked 31st July 1914, just four days before Britain declared war . The message reads "Having a [illegible] time here. [Illegible illegible] great excitement in the camp here about the war. We are [illegible] to a nice? tea."

Added: 23 September, 2023
street that saved

The Street That Saved hit the airwaves tonight. The project is all about not wasting food, and saving money. Check out the video, featuring Lowestoft residents joining the effort to help us use it all. Keep track here and on Facebook.

Added: 23 September, 2023
North Beach 21st Oct 2021

Way back in January storms revealed some of the buried remains of the Eleni V disaster.

East Suffolk Council have commissioned specialists to properly investigate how much oil remains and and to provide evidence for next steps.

Councillor James Mallinder, cabinet member for the Environment added: “Any excavations at the site may affect the rate of coastal erosion, and the surrounding environment, and so any decision about removing the deposits will be carefully considered.”

Added: 23 September, 2023
Lowestoft Low Light

1867 A completely new Lowestoft Low Light, made of wrought iron. It was designed to be moveable.

Added: 23 September, 2023

As the sandbanks shifted and Pakefield lighthouse was declared redundant and closed in 1864. The lighthouse’s 10m high tower has since been used as a war-time oservation post, store-room and holiday camp darkroom. 

Added: 23 September, 2023

1850 Pakefield Light House moved to Kessingland because the channel had shifted. The Pakefield LH tower is still there, in the holiday centre. The light was finally extinguished in 1864.

Added: 23 September, 2023

1832 Pakefield Lighthouse (red light) built to help navigate through the channel between the Barnard and Newcombe Sands. The station was made of brick.

Added: 23 September, 2023

1796 High Light fitted with "eleven Argand burners set in the focus of silvered reflectors" (p102 Lights of East Anglia by Neville Long, 1983)

Added: 23 September, 2023

1832 Low Light rebuilt with brick foundation to stop it falling into the sea

Added: 23 September, 2023
Added: 23 September, 2023