webmaster
user's content
click to ADD a new story/article | property Displaying 1 - 15 of 1064
| Title | Image | Body |
|---|---|---|
| Mariners Score |
,
,
|
Most northerly of the town’s original footway-only scores, with its southern wall carrying a Grade II listing from Historic England because of its architectural and historical worth. It consists of brick and flint masonry dating from the 17th century in the lower courses, with 18th and 19th century work above. / This score is situated near the Town Hall and considered to be the most picturesque with its pointed arch at the top framing a view of the sea. / 26 November, 2025 |
| Build a Pagoda / Greenhouse |
, |
Once you have your materials and tools, clear and level an area 4m sq with the front positioned for the view and optimising the sun. / 25 November, 2025 |
| 12 High Street |
,
|
No12 in 1865 was Mrs Mary Hunt, Lodging House. At 12 High Street we have William Roll and family - marine store dealer and a boarder:Revd Cyril Herbert Harvey - clerk in Holy Orders CREDIT: 1911 censusSee also Lost End of High St———————— / The Town Green was originally a northward extension of the High Street but the space on which the green now stands was created out of property destruction and damage caused by WW2 air raids, and on / 24 November, 2025 |
| 15 High Street |
,
|
In 1841 this was described in the Tithe Apportionment as being a “house and garden” owned and occupied by a Lowestoft-born, 45 year-old widow, Elizabeth Curtis. Elizabeth also owned land to the east of her garden stretching down to Whapload Road. This was used as a “twine ground” and occupied by a twine-spinner named William Masterson. / The Town Green was originally a northward extension of the High Street but the space on which the green now stands was created out of property destruction and damage caused by WW2 air raids, and on / 24 November, 2025 |
| 14 High Street |
,
|
In 1841 the property was own by Caroline M. Hubert and Harriet Smith. Described as being a “House & Garden” it was connected by a narrow reserved right of way which connected it to Whapload Road – this was shared with No. 15 to the immediate south. / The Town Green was originally a northward extension of the High Street but the space on which the green now stands was created out of property destruction and damage caused by WW2 air raids, and on / 24 November, 2025 |
| 13 High Street |
,
|
The listing for The Rectory is between number 12 and number 14 - hence equates to number 13.Edward Lowry Henderson, Rector of Lowestoft, and his family lived there (he was later Dean of St Albans) CREDIT:1911 censusPreviously The impressive rectory for St Margarets Church, No13 as of 1940 was the Transport Ministry offices. / See also Lost End of High St / 24 November, 2025 |
| Light House 01a High Street |
,
,
|
THE LIGHTHOUSE / 19 November, 2025 |
| 146 High Street |
,
|
The Wesleyan Chapel was located between No145 and No147 and was built in 1862 and operated as a Methodist Church. Moving on 42 years to 1908 the Chapel decided to erected at a cost of £4000 a Sunday School. The Wesleyan Society movement was formed in Lowestoft in 1761, under the patronage of Mr John Wesley who started preaching on a spot in Martin's Score. / 17 November, 2025 |
| 108 High Street |
,
,
|
One of Lowestoft's Our Fallen lived here... Formerly No. 4 Old Nelson Street / Chloe Ray offers a friendly atmosphere of old school drinking with a new school feel. / 13 November, 2025 |
| 99 High Street |
,
,
|
When it was built No99 started out its life as one shop and not how it is now by being No99-99a. Back in 1876 the whole shop was Adam. J. Adams, grocery and Provisions and in 1900 its still Adam Adams grocer's. Based on the attached photo there was a photographic studio here in 1915 / Oliver's Way will be a cozy café with a twist. A safe space for parents and carers to bring children with SEND. / 29 October, 2025 |
| Interior Décor, Fittings and Possessions |
,
|
Lowestoft Houses – 16th-18th Century The most commonly mentioned items of interior decoration during the later part of the 16th century, in the houses of the merchants and the better-off / 6 October, 2025 |
| 64 High Street |
,
,
|
One of Lowestoft's Our Fallen lived here... / Specialise in both new and pre owned musical equipment, meaning you’ll always find something of interest in stock. / 3 October, 2025 |
| 65 high street |
,
|
The shop in 1865 once belonged to Eager Norman Lark who ran it as a boot and shoe makers. In 1932 it became Pearks dairies limited selling provisions and finally David King outfitters before it was closed and converted into flats CREDIT: Lowestoft High Street, The Butcher, The Baker and The Candlestick Maker by Crispin Hook 2016 Get the book / 3 October, 2025 |
| 66 High Street |
,
|
In 1900 No66 was Arthur Victor Allen's shop and he was a tobacconist, By the 1930's it was still a tobacconist but this time it was run by Stanley Browne. By 1967 the shop had become a confectioner's, it spent the 1990's as a Christian bookshop with a hair salon above accessed by the passage way between it and number 66. / Lowestoft’s first small group personal training studio. Building strength, corrective exercise, wanting you to come for the fitness, gain your confidence & stay for the community. / 3 October, 2025 |
| 74 High Street |
,
|
In 1865 the shop was John Foreman and he had it open as a Brazier (a worker of brass). By 1900 the shop had become a Provisions Dealer run by Charles Thompson. In the Kelly's Directory for 1932, Arthur George James had opened the shop as a Fruitier's, but by 1967 Miss E Lane had reopened it as a Fancy Goods Dealer. In 1980s Jive Records, Proprietor Pete Duckett —- / 3 October, 2025 |
,
,
,
,
,
,
,